Exclude & --delete not working?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri May 3 14:30:01 EST 2002

That is the way it is intended to work; the exclude list is not sent from
server to client.  Back when I was official maintainer of rsync somebody
almost had me convinced to change it, but I decided that it was good the
way it was because to the client it appears like those files don't even
exist on the server.  If you want to exclude the same files on both sides,
put the excludes into a --exclude-from file and use it on the command line
as well as in rsyncd.conf.  Copy it first from server to client with a
separate rsync command to make sure both sides have the same list.

- Dave Dykstra