Help Trying to backup a single directory

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri May 3 14:26:03 EST 2002

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 01:33:01PM -0700, Ian Kettleborough wrote:
> I have been trying to just copy one directory from one hard disk to another
>
> >From /usr
> To /e (mounted second drive)
>
> I am trying to copy just directory file /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
>
> The usr is  part of the execution
>

> ./rsync -ax --stats  --include-from=include.sys  /usr /e -vv
>

> file: include.sys:
>

> + */
> + /src/sys/i386/conf/
> - *
>

> I have read the manual and this is what was said to copy one FILE so adding
> the / at the end of conf should copy the whole directory. At least that is
> my understand.

No, the "- *" will get applied to each file and exclude each one.   You want
   + /src/sys/i386/conf/*

I'm assuming you want to specify the source as "/usr/" instead of "/usr" like
you've got or the files will end up being called /e/usr/src/....   If that's
what you want then the include.sys would have
   + /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/*

- Dave Dykstra