jitterbug bug tracker ( was Re: rsync kills all user processes on fork failure)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Mar 22 03:51:08 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 03:19:26PM -0800, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2002, Paul Haas <paulh at hamjudo.com> wrote:
> > I filed this as bug 4150 http://rsync.samba.org/cgi-bin/rsync/
>
> Jitterbug, good, but I don't think anybody is really maintaining
> it at the moment.  (For example, there are 733 messages in "incoming".)
>
> I wonder if it would be better to just disable it and rely on the
> mailing list and TODO file?

I stopped looking when I stopped being the official maintainer and turned
the job back to Tridge, and I was wondering whether or not you were looking
at it since you took over.  It's definitely a terrible situation for there
to be a bug tracking system with nobody looking at it, and a web page that
recommends people to submit their bug reports that way.  Please talk over
with Tridge what to do about it.  I would hope you'd be willing to maintain
it.  The OpenSSH project does a compromise: it's using a bug tracking
system (bugzilla) but forwards all messages from the system to the
developer mailing list.  Project members still take the responsibility for
making sure everybody gets an answer, but sometimes other list readers help
out and reply for them.  I'm not saying I'm recommending this for rsync,
but it's an idea.

I think it would really help if there were more volunteers who had write
access to the rsync developer CVS to do help out where they can.  I know
I've asked you about a few people; have any of them been actually given
access yet?  The more developers there are the more reason to use a bug
tracking system, I think.

- Dave