Question on using rsync delete option

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Tue Mar 12 10:50:24 EST 2002

Through what method might rsync determine whether a file on the
destination is from the source and since deleted, or created on the
destination, when even you have no way of knowing.  You would need a
complete history of both filesystems, every create, rename, move, insert,
delete, append, and unlink, in the correct order, in order to know which
side a file came from, and in the case of duplicate filenames being
created on each end, which one is the correct one.  Actually, in that
case, you'd also need to know the intentions of the users creating the
files.  This is not information that can be gathered by examining the
state of the two filesystems, which is all rsync can do.    Your
application appears to call more for a shared filesystem scheme.  Surely
you're not mirroring or backing up to a location being locally changed in
ways even you don't know.
It can do only what you tell it to do.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Andy Lam <andyl at xilinx.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org