rsync digest, Vol 1 #778 - 11 msgs

Catalino Cuadrado ccuadrado at mail.wesleyan.edu
Thu Jun 27 13:21:01 EST 2002

I haven't gotten it to work successfully, I'm still struggling with the
same setgroups error that you are. However, I can tell you what I have
tried. So far I have rsync configured to run in --daemon mode using the
command: sudo rsync --daemon I can prompt it for a list of modules, but
when I go to copy a module, I get the error @ERROR: setgroups failed.
I can copy locally, from one HD to another, but I can't get it to copy
over the network, even using the sudo rsync ipaddress:/Filename / method.
So it's been kind of aggrivating. I'm thinking it has to do with the fact
that rsync needs to be run locally, and you're running it from a remote
server... If there's a way to trick the system into thinking that the
rsync daemon is running as root on the local machine, that would be ideal.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the UNIX side of things to get
that far.
-Tito