RegExpr in ---exclude

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 24 14:14:19 EST 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Bernard A Badger wrote:
> Just a comment on shell glob usage [...]
> Shell globbing is done before the program is invoked, so
> the shell globs on "--exclude=/path/to/*/[Ff][Oo][Ll][Dd][Ee][Rr]", but
> unless you have a directory "--exclude=", it won't find anything.

Quite so.  Plus, what happens next is shell (and shell-option)
dependent.  Some shells always expand their args, so expanding a
non-matching arg causes the entire string to vanish (a very useful thing
in a script's "for" loop, but not on a command-line).  Other shells
complain about there being "no match" and refuse to run the command (I
have my interactive shell set to do that because it helps guard against
mistyped args).  Just FYI.