new rsync release needed soon?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Jul 31 10:05:03 EST 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:21:49AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2002, Wayne Davison <wayned at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Martin Pool wrote:
> > > The --password-file option only applies to rsync daemon connections,
> > > not ssh.
> >
> > Perhaps we should make rsync complain about such options that don't make
> > sense (another example being trying to use -e with a "::" hostspec)?
>
> There's a patch in cvs to make it complain about -e with "::".
>
> The manual actually already says that --password-file does not effect
> remote shells, but I have made it a bit more obvious.
>
> I agree that a warning would be good.
>
> Shall we do a new release soon?
>
> There's just one more change I would like to put in, which is partially
> rolling back the IPv6 patch so that it uses the old code, unmodified,
> if --disable-ipv6 is specified.  I'm not sure this needs to go in
> before the next release though.  I think it would reduce the overall
> level of pain, particularly on older platforms.

Yes I think a new release is needed soon, but there's more patches than
that that should get in.  A bunch of them have been posted and I was hoping
you were keeping track of them and would be putting more of them in.

The patch that I'd most like to see get in JD Paul's patch for using SSH
and daemon mode together.  We still don't have an agreement on what the
syntax should be.  I think the combination of -e ssh and :: which he
implemented is the most understandable syntax and we should just go with
it.

I think there should be a special call for testing when you a release is
about ready to go, and give people about a week to soak it.  We want to be
sure we get a stable release.

- Dave Dykstra