Patch to update the included popt to 1.6.4

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Mon Jul 22 10:53:34 EST 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 03:06:23PM -0700, Jos Backus wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 01:43:34PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> > I'm wondering if we shouldn't just remove popt from the rsync source and
> > just rely on the user to install the popt package on their system prior
> > to compiling rsync.  Configure already uses the installed popt in
> > preference to the included popt, so it wouldn't be hard to change this
> > to not have a popt fallback.
> >
> > ..wayne..
>
> Fwiw, I agree, I just thought it would be too bold a step forward.

I don't think it would be good to drop it because popt is only installed by
default on Linux and cygwin (at least of the types I build) and would make
for more trouble for people on all other platforms.  I haven't run across
hardly any other packages that use it, either, otherwise it would be
worthwhile to install popt as a package on its own on all the platforms I
support.

- Dave