superlifter design notes (was Re: Latest rZync release: 0.06)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Jul 11 02:08:01 EST 2002

I've put a cleaned-up version of my design notes up here

  http://samba.org/~mbp/superlifter/design-notes.html

It's very early days, but (gentle :-) feedback would be welcome.  It
has some comments on Wayne's rzync design, which on the whole looks
pretty clever.

I don't have any worthwhile code specifically towards this yet, but I
have been experimenting with the protocol ideas in distcc

  http://distcc.samba.org/

I like the way it has worked out there: the protocol is simple and
easy to understand, the bugs more or less "found themselves", and it
feels like I'm using TCP in a natural way -- all of these much more so
than rsync at the moment.  (Of course, the rsync problem is much more
complicated.)

--
Martin