strip setuid/setgid bits on backup (was Re: small security-related rsync extension)

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 10 14:15:01 EST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Eric Horst wrote:
> Not to mention, is it a real long-term goal is to redesign rsync to deal
> with large numbers of files by not building the entire file list up front?

That is something that I'm working on with my rZync application.  It
implements a new protocol that can begin transferring files as soon as
the first directory has been transferred and compared.  The program is
not yet ready for someone with millions of files to test, though -- I
need to change the implementation of the name-cache to handle really
large numbers of files.  I have a new design that I'll be coding up in
the next few days.  Once that's done, I hope to get more people to try
the code out and let me know how it performs.

> If rsync is ever rewritten work directory by directory (or whatever)
> building small file lists instead of building the mega filelist then when
> do you run the post-process script?  After each small batch of files?  Or
> store up the disposition list till the end effectively building a huge
> filelist again?

My initial reaction is that it would be best to start a pipe to the
application at the start of the transfer and incrementally put data into
it as you go along.