Fix for batch mode (was Re: batch mode maintainability)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Jan 31 07:56:25 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:52:17AM -0800, Jos Backus wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:07:04AM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > It isn't clear to me that the -z option makes sense for batch mode anyway.
> > Perhaps turning the rsync_* files into a gzipped tarball before sending
> > them to the remote machines would have better compression.  I guess some
> > measurements would need to be done, but of course in order to do that you'd
> > need to have -z mode working.
>
> OK, that sounds reasonable, I'll just add a note to the batch mode description
> then.

It should do more, it should block -z from being used with --write-batch.

> Btw, what about the other patch (the one that adds --write-batch=prefix, among
> others), does it work for you?

I didn't have a chance to try it before now.  I see the rsync_argvs is saying
--write-batch instead of --read-batch.

The patch to not turn on -W when using batch mode works ok.

> And can you perhaps show me how to create a
> setup where the batch files are created in your homedir, which is the other
> problem you were seeing?

The rsync_argvs file gets written every time no matter what the setup.
Looking at the code, it's clear why:  write_batch_argvs_file() is getting
called from main(), which is run on both the client and server side.

- Dave Dykstra