Fix for batch mode (was Re: batch mode maintainability)

Jos Backus josb at cncdsl.com
Thu Jan 31 05:52:17 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:07:04AM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> It isn't clear to me that the -z option makes sense for batch mode anyway.
> Perhaps turning the rsync_* files into a gzipped tarball before sending
> them to the remote machines would have better compression.  I guess some
> measurements would need to be done, but of course in order to do that you'd
> need to have -z mode working.

OK, that sounds reasonable, I'll just add a note to the batch mode description
then.

> What did they mean that -z was working "only while creating rsync_delta"?
> Isn't that the same thing as running --write-batch?  Maybe it fails on one
> of the other three files it creates.

No idea. It's strange that failure occurs when inflating the _second_ file. I
don't really understand the code well enough to understand what's going on.

Btw, what about the other patch (the one that adds --write-batch=prefix, among
others), does it work for you? And can you perhaps show me how to create a
setup where the batch files are created in your homedir, which is the other
problem you were seeing?

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA