suid files and bsd

Steve stephen at dim.com
Fri Jan 25 04:27:07 EST 2002

	Currently I only have one machine backing up to another. I am
backing up to a filesystem that is mounted as nosuid. The syncing process
works perfectly except it fails on files that are suid.

Example

proc/
root/
tmp/
mknod tmp/mysql.sock : Invalid argument
mknod tmp/orbit-daud/orb-12573780511489051058 : Invalid argument
mknod tmp/orbit-daud/orb-139425434385535813 : Invalid argument

mknod var/pwcheck/pwcheck : Invalid argument
var/run/
mknod var/run/log : Invalid argument
mknod var/run/ndc : Invalid argument
mknod var/run/printer : Invalid argument

srw-rw-rw-   1 root    wheel      0 Jan 23 11:52 log
srw-------   1 root    wheel      0 Jan 23 11:53 ndc
srwxrwx---   1 root    wheel      0 Jan 23 11:53 printer

I would figure that copying the file and setting the file typr would be
different. Is this the rsyncd that is seeing the file system set nosuid
or has anyone else run into this sort of problem? I would really rather
not have suid files allowed on the backup filesystem.

Regards,
Steve

--
Systems Administrator  | D i m e n s i o n a l   C o m m u n i c a t i o n s |
support at dim.com        | DSL/V90/K56flex/V34/ISDN/Frame/T1/T3 starts @$25/mo |