Error in rsync that I don't understand..

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Jan 15 08:52:33 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:38:10PM -0800, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 03:20:18PM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:01:31AM -0800, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> > >
> > > [I wish the list archives were searchable, this most likely is a repeat
> > > question]
> >
> > You can use google to search using the keywords
> >     site:lists.samba.org rsync keys_to_search_for
>
> Thanks!  I wasn't really complaining, I had gone through the web page and I did
> see a link for search but it went to the mailman list page with no opportunity
> to do any searches there.  Thats why I said something about it.

I asked Martin to explain how to do this on the rsync web page or better yet
put a prompt for it there but he hasn't said he would or not.

> > > We have a set of cron jobs that do regular rsyncs mirroring two trees.  This
> > > has been pretty stable.  Over the weekend, almost all of them broke with this
> > > message:
> > >
> > > rresvport: bind: Permission denied
> > > (15728) Error reading 4 bytes : EOF
> > >
> > > Under what conditions does this error occur?  It looks like it couldn't
> > > bind to a port because it wasn't allowed to.  But I'm not certain if
> > > thats the correct translation.
> >
> > I don't think that message is coming from rsync.  The strings "rresvport"
> > and "Error reading" don't occur anywhere in the source code.
>
> The error is coming from a system call on HPUX 11.0.  The rresvport according
> to the man page is a system call that binds a reserved port.  This is failing
> because a) the rsync command is running under a normal user and b) the
> rresvport refers to binding a reserved port.  So indirectly something in rsync
> might be calling this through a common rsh function??
>
> Now, I've done local checks like rsh hostname ls or something to see if those
> common programs work but those seems fine.  Any other ideas?

No, I really don't see how it would be possible for rsync to print that
error.  I also see no occurrences of the string "bind:" or "bytes :".
What's the simplest command you can run to repeat the problem?  Often just
the process of narrowing down a problem points to the solution.

- Dave Dykstra