Planning fixing '--force not working'

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Jan 4 02:55:13 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:04:44PM -0800, Chris Cogdon wrote:
> --force is indeed necessary, as it isn't entirely replaced by
> --delete-excluded. I think I detailed an example in #3500, but I'll
> reiterate here.
>
> Say I'm mirroring a image website. Rather than mirror all the
> automatically-generated index files, I just mirror the images and have the
> local system generate the files straight after the rsync. However, if a
> directory is deleted (and its contents) on the source side, only the
> contents will be deleted on the destination side, since the index files
> are not deleted (without --delete-excluded), and therefore the directory
> is not empty. This is what --force is supposed to do, according to the man
> page :)

Don't go by the man page -- it is very vague, and it doesn't address this
specific case.

> --delete-excluded is not the solution, as this will delete the index files
> on the destination each time rsync is run. I dont want to regenerate
> everything... only what's necessary to regenerate.

Agreed.

> So... I'm putting my vote in into having --force kept, and fixed to do
> what's documented :) I'll continue trying to grok rsync to a point that I
> can supply patches.

I think I agree that it makes sense for --delete --force to delete
destination directories even if they have excluded files in them, but I'm
still cautious and want to reserve the right to change my mind when I see
the code.

> If I have questions about the code, should i send them to you, or to the
> mailing list?

The list.

- Dave Dykstra