Query for rsync

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Jan 3 09:27:01 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 02:38:46PM +0530, India wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have configure rsync 2.4.6-2 on redhat 7.1 but i am facing a
> problem while synchronizing big directory tree between two linux system
> over the network. Even if i mount any volume either through (nfs or ncp or
> samba) this sync commands stops after copying few directorys. I have tried
> 2.5.0 version but that too shows  a message saying bits overflow and it
> shows that it is copying file but after completion of copying only
> directory structure is created with no file in it.

Using rsync over a remote filesystem mount often makes things worse so
don't try to improve a situation that way.  Rsync 2.4.6 had well-known
hanging problems and an available patch, and some people have reported some
hanging problems with 2.5.0 but I don't think they have been sufficiently
confirmed.  Don't worry about the overflow bits message in 2.5.0, that was
a misleading message and you can remove it either by re-compiling with the
configure --disable-debug option or by upgrading to the latest 2.5.1
preview snapshot in the "preview" directory in the download area at
rsync.samba.org.  Try also running without any -v, that has been known to
introduce hanging problems at least in 2.4.6.  What options did you use
when you ran 2.5.0 and ended up with empty directories?  Did it complete
without any error messages?  2.5.0 also can't run in daemon mode at all.

- Dave Dykstra