File over 2GB using Cygwin

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Sat Feb 23 08:40:19 EST 2002

On 21 Feb 2002, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure Cygwin itself has a 2GB (32-bit) limitation for files.
> Large file (64-bit) support for Cygwin has come up in various ways
> repeatedly on the Cygwin mailing list but it generally ends up at the point
> where if someone is asking for it, the suggestion is that they implement it
> :-)
>
> So I don't think there's any practical workaround with Cygwin.

It could be an interesting project to try to build rsync under MSVC++.
Presumably it can handle large files.  I don't think there's anything
impossible in principle about it.

It's probably too hard to run ./configure on Windowz without Cygwin so
you might need to make your own config.h and Makefile.

--
Martin