Keep one BIG file in sync

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Fri Feb 22 12:30:48 EST 2002

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 07:27:20PM -0500, Joseph Annino wrote:
> The big problem is when diffs are usually done, you need to compare every
> bite in both files to find the deltas.  So in a network situation you
> wouldn't save any effort because everything would have to go across the
> network anyhow, so why not just copy the file?

?? That's exactly what rsync is designed to do. The rsync client does
checksums on it's copy of the file, and the rsync server does checksums on
it's copy - and then they use the network to send the checksums to each
other. Until that happens, all I/O is local...

BTW: if this is an Exchange server being talked about, NEVER, EVER, TOUCH AN
EXCHANGE DATABASE WHEN IT'S RUNNING. You *will* crash it.

I know: I did :-)

[Apparently it's a feature...]

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Information Security Manager
Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417