Web Interface to rysnc

Joseph Annino jannino at jannino.com
Fri Feb 15 05:56:04 EST 2002

I kind of doubt I could easy get the original code at this point, but it
really wasn't anything too complex.

One way around the password issue is to use the ssh-agent and identities
with a passphrase.  Ssh-agent lets you pipe a password into it.  Once the
user enters the password once it is good for their entire session.  The
O'Reilly book on SSH is excellent at explaining all this stuff.

Not having passwords is important with my File::Rsync::Safe module because
it connects with rsync multiple times to be sure that everything is done
correctly.  Having to enter a password 4 or 5 times to do a transfer would
be quite annoying.  So I am also looking at ways to solve the password
problem.

The way I got around the ssh password issue, which I am sure is not the best
way, was to take the following steps:
- Users are not given accounts on the live server.  The live server is
controlled only by administrators and special accounts.
- Create a special account called 'webmove' on the staging and live servers.
All web content is owned by this user.
- Setup this account with an ssh key with no password.  Webmove on each
server needs to be able to log into the other server.  You can optionally
give it a restricted shell.
- When a user runs the copy script it will:
    - Check that the files exist and the user has rights to copy the files.
    - Connect to the live server as the webmove user, and send a command to
a copy script running on the live server.
    - The copy script running on the live server doublechecks that the user
can do the copy.
    - The copy script on the live server runs rsync and does the actual
update

This makes for a reasonably secure way of doing things, because the script
on the live server limits what can be done to legitimate commands, instead
of just writing anything anywhere with rsync.  I'm sure its possible for
people to fake their way around this, but so long as your staging machine is
secure and you trust your users I found it acceptable.  There are also ways
to make ssh identities that run certain commands, etc.  Again I recommend
the O'Reilly book.

--
Joseph Annino Consulting - Perl, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, etc.
jannino at jannino.com - http://www.jannino.com