Rsync 2.5.2 -v too verbose?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Feb 8 03:30:20 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 11:23:34AM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2002, Wayne Davison <wayned at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > > Martin has put in the below feature in rsync 2.5.2 for using a shell.  I've
> > > already had one user complain about it.  I think it would be better at the
> > > -vv level.
> >
> > Yes, I agree that -vv would be better.  People use -v primarily to see
> > what files are getting transferred, and seeing what behind-the-scenes
> > ssh connection is happening is better reserved for a more verbose output
> > level.
>
> OK, I agree about changing it to -vv.
>
> It would be good to add some more documentation about what comes out
> at each level of verbosity.

I see a lot of messages have RSYNC_NAME ":" put on the beginning, including
FINFO messages.  I really don't think they belong on FINFO messages at
all.  I looked into it because I noticed it printing a symlink prefaced by
"rsync:" which doesn't make any sense at all.

I went ahead and removed the RSYNC_NAME from FINFO messages.  I also
returned the message "building file list ... done" back to the way it was
in 2.5.1 when not using -P (including removing the "number of files to
consider" message when not using -P).  I figure that if Martin disagrees we
can always change things back.  I noticed that Martin had added progress
messages every 100 files with -P, but it only applied when sending files
and not when receiving files, so I made it consistent in both directions.

> We should add equivalent output for socket connections and
> socket-via-proxy connections, but I haven't done that yet.

I thought about doing this while I was in there but I think I'll leave it
to Martin.  There's also a RSYNC_CONNECT_PROG possibility.

- Dave Dykstra