error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at token.c(288)

Stuart Anderson sba at srl.caltech.edu
Sat Feb 2 09:01:03 EST 2002

According to Dave Dykstra:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:09:18AM -0800, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> > According to sba:
>
> > > No I did not apply the patch, but I verified the same problem with
> > > rsync-2.4.8, is that sufficient?
>
> No, because rsync-2.4.8 include the same security patch that went into
> 2.5.2 last weekend.  If you could try 2.4.6 or 2.5.1 that would tell us if
> it was some other problem introduced last weekend or not.

The problem was introduced in version 2.4.4 and exists in all later
versions up to and including 2.5.2. Whereas version 2.4.3 and 2.4.0
are both fine (the only earlier versions checked).

The problem only exists for compression and large files.

I encountered and tested the various rsync versions with the file,
redhat/7.1/en/iso/i386/seawolf-i386-powertools.iso
gotten from your nearest RedHat mirror, but it is more general
than just this file.

However, the problem is not reproducible with any of the 1018 "small"
files from redhat/7.1/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS which range in size from
1810 Byte to 21541821 Byte.

To reproduce:

1) rsync --archive a large file (ISO size?) to a remote machine
2) /bin/touch it on the destination machine
3) rsync --archive --compress again
4) Check for error message: "deflate on token returned 0 (16384 bytes left)"

I don't know if it matters but I am running rsync between two Solaris 8
machines, and using ssh as the transport:

> ssh -V
OpenSSH_2.9p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090601f

--
Stuart Anderson  sba at srl.caltech.edu  http://www.srl.caltech.edu/personnel/sba