am I missing something, or are permissions always preserved?

Dave Dykstra dwd at drdykstra.us
Tue Dec 31 21:21:01 EST 2002

Then what would you expect it to do?  I'm guessing your only problem is
that the chmod is failing, and you would rather have it create files with
the final permissions in the first place; is that it?  I believe it is
done this way because of worries of potential security problems, where
temporary files might be accessible by more people than the original
file was.  Or is the issue that you rather have it always create file
permissions based only on umask?  In that case I don't know how it would
know whether or not to turn on the executable permission, among other
problems.  What exactly would your proposed flag do?

- Dave