--backup-dir : unrecognized option

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Dec 16 01:23:00 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:28:47PM +0900, Yannis Sklavos wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running rsync 2.3.1 and when I run it with the
> option --backup-dir=<some_backup_dir>, I get an error message telling that
> the option is unrecognized. I'm using the package from
> www.sunfreeware.com
>
> If I'm pushing the data:
> # /usr/local/bin/rsync -azb --backup-dir=/tmp -e /bin/rsh --delete /home/
> backup_host:/home
> /usr/local/bin/rsync: unrecognized option `--backup-dir=/tmp'
>
> ..and If I'm pulling, I get the same:
> # /usr/local/bin/rsync -b --backup-dir=/tmp -e /bin/rsh
> file_host:/home13/user5 /home13/user5
> /usr/local/bin/rsync: unrecognized option `--backup-dir=/tmp'
>
> I've searched for similar reported errors by other users, but I haven't
> found anything.
> The readme file does not mention this feature, but the documentation does.
> The "config -help" from the source and the Makefile did not help much.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Yannis

2.3.1 is an antique.  Current version is 2.5.5 and was
released months ago.  While you could try using <space>
instead of <=> i in case there was a problem with the parser
back then you should upgrade at least to 2.5.5 if not to
cvs.

While i've found sunfreeware.com useful in the past they are
dreadfully out of date with regard to rsync.

You don't say which vesion of Solaris/SunOS you are running.
Michael Schmidt <mschmidt at Fh-Koblenz.de> has been good
enough to build binaries for Solaris 8.  He has notified the
folks at sunfreeware.com but evidently gotten no response.
Recently he posted the binaries on
ftp://ftp.fh-koblenz.de/pub/PrebuiltBinaries/rsync-2.5.5/
they might still be there or in the binaries area on the web
site.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt