--backup-dir : unrecognized option

Yannis Sklavos syannis at jp.fcnbd.com
Mon Dec 16 00:34:00 EST 2002

Hi

I'm running rsync 2.3.1 and when I run it with the
option --backup-dir=<some_backup_dir>, I get an error message telling that
the option is unrecognized. I'm using the package from
www.sunfreeware.com

If I'm pushing the data:
# /usr/local/bin/rsync -azb --backup-dir=/tmp -e /bin/rsh --delete /home/
backup_host:/home
/usr/local/bin/rsync: unrecognized option `--backup-dir=/tmp'

..and If I'm pulling, I get the same:
# /usr/local/bin/rsync -b --backup-dir=/tmp -e /bin/rsh
file_host:/home13/user5 /home13/user5
/usr/local/bin/rsync: unrecognized option `--backup-dir=/tmp'

I've searched for similar reported errors by other users, but I haven't
found anything.
The readme file does not mention this feature, but the documentation does.
The "config -help" from the source and the Makefile did not help much.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Yannis