rsync: push_dir TESTDIR: No such file or directory

Mack, Daemian DMack at Tickets.com
Thu Aug 29 09:05:01 EST 2002

> Daemian:  You're mixing two mutually-exclusive modes - rsync
> over ssh, and
> rsync over rsync internal TCP transport to an rsyncd.  -e ssh
> is ignored
> on rsync to rsyncd, and rsync to rsyncd requires the
> double-colon("::")
> representation of the remote.  The --port= is also relevant only to
> contacting an rsyncd.
> In this case, you are opening an ssh stream, and passing info
> over that,
> to a shell.  "MYUSERNAME at MY.SERV.ER.IP:TESTDIR" means
> external transport to the subdirectory named "TESTDIR" under the
> home directory of "MYUSERNAME" on machine "MY.SERV.ER.IP".

I'm confused.   I *am* using the single-colon, which, according to the man
page, is the right way to specify "I want to use SSH for this operation,"
which I do.

> So, your rsyncd.conf is also meaningless in this context.

I'm starting to suspect that I can rsync to a machine that literally *does
not have* rsync running in any sort of daemon capacity.  Is this accurate?

> Looking at it from the purpose of successfully doing what
> your command
> does, I'd first try
> ssh MY.SERV.ER.IP <-l MYUSERNAME> pwd
> and see if it's what you expect.  You might be landing in a directory
> where you don't have write perms... It's happenned.

I have tried this, and am landing right where I expect to, in my remote home
directory.  The directory I'm specifying to sync with is present and is
me-writable.

In any case, it's working today.  The only change I've made is to reboot the
rsync server for an unrelated issue.  I don't know what changed to make it
start working, but at least it is.  ;)  Thanks for the pointers!

Daemian Mack