rsync: push_dir TESTDIR: No such file or directory

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Aug 30 04:39:01 EST 2002

I'm glad it's working.  I wonder what was going on on the destination that
could be fixed with a reboot... but on a production environment, sometimes
root cause analysis is a luxury you just can't afford.

I agree.  You *are* using the single-colon syntax, but you've also brought
up your rsyncd.conf, and are using the -p option.  Maybe rsync should have
complained about the wrong options, rather than just going ahead and
working.  There has been some discussion about having rsync refuse to run,
rather than just silently ignoring meaningless options.  It's low priority
work, though.

Yes, you CAN rsync to a system that isn't running an rsync daemon.  In
fact, that is the most common mode.  As the maintainers explain:
     Once installed you can use rsync to any machine that you can
     use  rsh  to.  rsync uses rsh for its communications, unless
     both the source and destination are local.

     You can also specify an alternative to rsh, either by  using
     the  -e  command  line  option,  or by setting the RSYNC_RSH
     environment variable.

     One common substitute is to use ssh,  which  offers  a  high
     degree of security.

SunOS 5.7           Last change: 25 Jan 2002                    2

User Commands                                            rsync(1)

Some have used ssh to set up port forwarding to the rsyncd, so that the
restrictions on the remote end rsyncd can be used inside the ssh
transport, but that's external stuff, not part of the actual program.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Mack, Daemian" <DMack at Tickets.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
08/29/2002 12:03 PM