Use "rsync --dry-run" to find directory difference, but ...

Michael Wang mwang at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 18 19:12:00 EST 2002

I would like to use "rsync --dry-run" option to compare
two directories, make use the output programatically.

However, besides the filelist, rsync also spits out
some lines as shown below. And from version to version,
the message is different. For example, in a newer version,
we do not have "xxxx files to consider.", and no "^rsync: ".
This makes excluding these lines difficult.

Any advice? Thanks.

--
rsync: building file list...
rsync: 3154 files to consider.