make test fails if rsync is not already installed.

Noah noah at noah.org
Thu Aug 15 15:21:02 EST 2002

Hi,

I noticed a weird problem with "make test" on rsync-2.5.5.
It seems that the testsuite only works if rsync is already installed
(presumably an older version...).  I think the tests intend
to run the rsync that was just built and not the previously
existing rsync, but is not what appears to happen.
The test script output contains messages like this:
Running: "rsync -aHvv "/tmp/rsync-2.5.5/testtmp.hardlinks/from/"
"/tmp/rsync-2.5.5/testtmp.hardlinks/to/""
./testsuite/hardlinks.test: rsync: not found

On a system without rsync I get these failed tests:
FAIL    hardlinks
FAIL    chgrp

I'm running OpenBSD 3.1. Is there something I can do?

Also, is it OK to build and install as root?
I remember reading something about not running
rsync as root, but I can't find a reference to
that anymore, so I'm not sure. If the tests run rsync,
then I guess if would be bad to build as root.

Yours,
Noah