Is there anyway to fix large file support?

Aharon aharon at superfreeway.com
Wed Aug 7 09:07:02 EST 2002

I am currently writing disaster recovery software for the company I work
for.  I have been watching rsync development now for the past couple of
months, hoping that large file support would start working.  I know that
rsync supports large file support, and my tests have been with large file
support turned on in rsync.

It would save me MASSIVE amounts of time if I could use rsync for disaster
recovery, but we have about 10 files that are over 2 gigs in size.  That
all fail during transfer in rsync.

Please, help me! :)  I am using HP/UX 11.0.  I have also heard on this
lists from a few people running Solaris who cant get large file support to
work as well.

I am running todays cvs copy during this test.  It also fails in version
2.5.5..

My rsync:

rsync  version 2.5.6cvs  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              no IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

The error:

A failed large file over 2 gigs:

aurora:/premdordev/MP5.BCV # rsync --progress -arvvz SM.ORDERS
n4000.premdor.com:/premdor/SM.ORDERS
opening connection using remsh n4000.premdor.com rsync --server
-vvlogDtprz . /premdor/SM.ORDERS
building file list ...
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
1 file to consider
delta transmission enabled
SM.ORDERS
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes: phase "unknown":
Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(515)

I can send hundreds of thousands of small files with no errors, it's only
the large files >2 gig that blow up.

My systems are at your disposal if you need my help doing anything.  I
just hope we can get this working.

Aharon

--
Sr Unix Administrator