Rsync from windows to unix

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sun Aug 4 01:35:03 EST 2002

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 08:44:00AM -0700, S Peram wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use rsync from Windows to Unix.
> I've followed the directions on :
> http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_pc1.html

Start by reading the manpage.  Look first in the GENERAL
section where it lists the 6 (soon to be 8) ways of using
rsync and then pick one.

> I can see ssh running on the windows machine, because
> I tested it using telnet localhost 22 and I can see
> the result "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1".
> But when I try
> "$ rsync -avz -e ssh user at windowsserver::/rsync/* ."

At this point in time your arguments are in conflict.
Using :: to connect to an rsyncd negates -e ssh.

> from the Linux machine I'm getting the error message
>  "ERROR: The remote path must start with a module
> name"

If you are going to connect to an rsync daemon the path
(after the ::) must start with a module name as defined in
the rsyncd.conf on the windowsserver.

> Even when I try
> "$ rsync -avz -e ssh user at windowsserver:/rsync/* ."
> I'm getting the error
> $ rsync -avz -e ssh speram at 172.20.70.33:/testrsync/* .
> user at windows server password: <i enter domain passwd>
> "unexpected EOF in read_timeout"

You don't have ssh configured to allow connection without a
password yet.  Read up on ssh for windows and configure the
account to know about your public keys.  I don't use windows
so i don't know the details, on UNIX this means putting the
public keys from .ssh/*.pub into .ssh/authorized_keys on the
server.  Once you have that done you should be able to do
$ rsync -avz -e ssh user at windowsserver:/rsync/* .

> The rsync daemon seems to be running too, since
> $telnet localhost 873 gave me the result
> @RSYNCD: 25
> I'd appreciate if any of you gurus can guide me where
> I'm going wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Peram

Good luck.

Once rsync supports 8 ways using -e option will require both
a module configure and the key management to further confuse
you.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt