rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(925)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Aug 2 07:40:06 EST 2002

Well there's nothing in that configuration and command that jumps out
at me, except that I don't think the max-delete option is very heavily used
(and therefore not very heavily tested).  I suggest putting some debugging
statements int he code to narrow down where that error code of 255 is
coming from.  That indicates that start_client returned 255 which means
that client_run returned 255.  I didn't trace it further.

Also, the fix at
    http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-February/006371.htm
might possibly give you a more understandable error message.