rsync under Mac OS X - advice/alternatives needed

Joseph Annino jannino at jannino.com
Mon Apr 22 09:06:01 EST 2002

This is a bit of an old message, but I haven't read the list in a while and
it seems no one has replied.

There are a few sync programs around for the Mac that can do remote syncs
keeping track of the HFS+ stuff.  They tend to be shareware.  Look on
versiontracker.

An other option would be to run rsync with the dry run option, and then pass
the list of changed files it comes up with to your own script that uses
hfspax tunneled over some transport to do the actual copy.  Not easy, and
nothing I'm planning on doing, but that¹s the only way I can think of to do
this with open source tools without getting in there and tweaking the C
sources.

If you don't know about it, hfspax lets you make tar or cpio archives that
contain all the relevant HFS+ data.  It creates hidden files in the archives
containing the resource forks, finder info, etc.  It reads such archives as
well.  I use it to back up my mac to a tape drive on a linux box.