Does RSYNC work over NFS?

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Sep 26 11:07:29 EST 2001

Actually, there is a possible exception to that.  Certainly, in my situation, I always use -W.  Ours is mostly new files or deletions... rarely partial modifications of large single files.
consider, however, a slow pipe between systems, one or more mounting filesystems via nfs over a fast connection.
the lan connection to the nfs is negligible versus the rsync connection from server to server.
We're on one side of  that threshold here, with a switched 1000bT connection from our servers to our Network Appliances filers and T1 from server-to-server (1044kbps).  Of course, we use slower-performing attached storage for our
organization-wide-duplicated filesystems, so there's no question in our case... it's -W... especially when we duplicate to our local redundant fileservers.
However, if we were using our netapps for our purpose, -W would slow us in some situations.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn, 19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com>@lists.samba.org on 09/25/2001 05:08:58 PM

Sent by:  rsync-admin at lists.samba.org