Does RSYNC work over NFS?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Sep 26 07:36:51 EST 2001

Yes, but remember that the rsync protocol is optimized for low bandwidth
networks and high bandwidth "disks".   When you go over NFS you are
increasing the access time for the "disks", and especially if you are
copying between two NFS mounts on the same machine you've got very high
bandwidth for the "network" between the two sides.  When you have a high
bandwidth network, it is more efficient to disable the rsync rolling
checksum algorithm with --whole-file, which increases the network traffic
but decreases the disk traffic.  That's the default in the rsync release
that's currently being developed, when source and destination are on the
same machine.

Also, some people have reported some hangs when copying on NFS.  It's
unclear to me whether or not the no-hang patches that have been posted to
this mailing list have helped.

- Dave Dykstra