2.4.7p1 protocol differences?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Oct 30 07:30:03 EST 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 02:19:55PM -0400, Dave Wreski wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> rsync-2.4.6 has been running for quite a while with no problems, until
> about a week ago when for some reason it blocked on the same host ever
> time.
>
> I use it to backup about thirty hosts to my backup server, but for some
> reason it's illiciting that blocking bug that some people experience with
> 2.4.6. So, I upgraded the client side with 2.4.7, but it complained of
> protocol differences. I certainly can't upgrade all 30 hosts to 2.4.7p1,
> especially when it's not production-ready yet.

I'm not aware of any protocol differences.  Can you be more specific?
Try to give us some simple steps to reproduce it if you can.

> The host that it's blocking on isn't even transferring all that much data.
> Maybe fourty or so meg per day. What could be happening?

I'm not sure how much data it takes to trigger the bug.  What kinds of
hosts, and what transfer method are you using?  Perhaps you'd like to try
appling Wayne Davison's no-hang patch on 2.4.6 rathern than using 2.4.7p1,
from
    http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-nohang2.patch

- Dave Dykstra