problems between different versions of rsync

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Thu Oct 18 05:56:42 EST 2001

If a user does not have authority to create files under another user id (meaning he has a null user id, meaning root, in most cases), all files he creates will belong to him.  rsync is graceful enough to not even try.  For basic unix skills, I'd recommend
O'Reilly's "Unix in a Nutshell"
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unixnut3
I've never read it, but O'Reilly seems to be the best with the technical books.
Incidentally, even if you were running as root on the other end, you wouldn't preserve ownerships, as your commandline doesn't say to do so.  you'd need the -o and -g options.  You'd probably just want to use the -a (archive, preserve everything about it)
option.  It's equivalent to "glopr" (preserve group, symlinks, ownership, and permissions, recursively).
The rsync distribution comes with some pretty good documentation on its options and functionality.

On the versions:  I'm not sure where the cutoffs are for your versions, but as they work at all, you're probably ok.  You'll probably, however, want to upgrade the 2.3.0 system, and if you're running large jobs, you'll want to, at the least, patch the 2.4
with the rsync-nohang patches.  I personally, am getting so frustrated with the 2.4 series on huge trees (currently about 130Gb in 24M files), that i'm about ready to revert to 2.3.1.  I'll miss --bwlimit, but oh, well.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn, 19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Jeff Beley <Jeff.Beley at alcatel.com> on 10/17/2001 01:21:52 PM

--
Jeff Beley