Using rsync 2.3.1, individual file size limitation...

Michael Salmon Michael.Salmon at uab.ericsson.se
Wed Oct 17 20:58:17 EST 2001

On Thursday, October 11, 2001 12:10:18 PM -0400 Mark Eichin
<eichin at thok.org> wrote:
+------

| > send_files failed to open .../data1/intlmv.data/histimv.rec:
| > Value too large for defined data type
|
| Is that Solaris 8?  I ask not just because you should have mentioned
| this in the bug report (tsk tsk :-) but that I've seen that error and
| it *didn't* have anything to do with file size (or rsync) but instead
| had to do with files having "negative" timestamps - often created by
| unzip.  Just something to keep in mind, when resubmitting your question
| with enough information to actually make sense of it...
+-----X8

That's nearly correct. In NFS the time fields are defined as a 32 bit
unsigned integers while in Solaris it is a 32 bit signed integer and hence
if the most significant bit is set in the NFS metadata then it cannot be
represented by Solaris. Versions of Solaris earlier than 7 were buggy in
their handling of NFS times, many other operating systems still are. There
is never a problem with local files.

/Michael
--
This space intentionally left non-blank.