Password-less daemon or rsh setup

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Nov 27 03:13:31 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 04:52:02PM -0000, matthew.2.burgess at bt.com wrote:
> I'm new to rsync and trying to configure it to run through either the daemon
> or rsh (ssh is not avalilable).  Doing an 'rlogin production' results in a
> password prompt - which I want rid of, as we're basically going to have a
> robot user running a cron job that utilises rsync.  I'm at a loss as to why
> I can't configure rlogin to user hosts.equiv or similar - any help on this
> would be greatly appreciated as it's definitely the preferred method.

That depends on your system operating system, but it's usually a very
simple matter.  The hardest part is usually finding out what the server
thinks the name of the client is.  Logging in and saying "who am i"
will tell you on some operating systems.

> I've had some limited success with the daemon approach - but again I'm
> prompted for a password.  Here's the command I'm trying to run:
>
> backup(nemxb01)$ rsync -nr production::test_module /export/home/nemxb01
>
> If I supply nemxb01's password I get the correct results.  FYI: nemxb01
> doesn't exist on the production box.

That depends on production's rsyncd.conf; if you post that we could tell
you what needs to be changed.  It's surprising that it would prompt for a
password because it needs to be explicitly set up to do so.

> If someone could give me a step-by-step approach as to how to configure
> rlogin, and subsequently rsync to run through rsh I'd appreciate it.

- Dave Dykstra