Password-less daemon or rsh setup

matthew.2.burgess at bt.com matthew.2.burgess at bt.com
Fri Nov 23 03:52:02 EST 2001

I'm new to rsync and trying to configure it to run through either the daemon
or rsh (ssh is not avalilable).  Doing an 'rlogin production' results in a
password prompt - which I want rid of, as we're basically going to have a
robot user running a cron job that utilises rsync.  I'm at a loss as to why
I can't configure rlogin to user hosts.equiv or similar - any help on this
would be greatly appreciated as it's definitely the preferred method.

I've had some limited success with the daemon approach - but again I'm
prompted for a password.  Here's the command I'm trying to run:

backup(nemxb01)$ rsync -nr production::test_module /export/home/nemxb01

If I supply nemxb01's password I get the correct results.  FYI: nemxb01
doesn't exist on the production box.

If someone could give me a step-by-step approach as to how to configure
rlogin, and subsequently rsync to run through rsh I'd appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Matthew Burgess
****
British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no 1800000.
This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunication
plc which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to
be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not
the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic message in error, please notify the us by telephone
or e-mail (to the numbers or address above) immediately.