using rsync to backup windows workstations

Robert Scholten r.scholten at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 08:05:32 EST 2001

For some help in getting started, see:
 http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_user.html

Unfortunately an irritating person at Redhat/cygwin insisted I remove
my windoze binaries because I wasn't able to provide full source for
cygwin and rsync.  So here are some comments I send people that query me:

a) rsync binaries for win32/cygwin are now available from the binaries
   section of the rsync web pages, maintained by someone at redhat I think
b) the version attached is so old that you really shouldn't attempt to use  it.
   Get the latest CVS version and add Wayne Davison's patches (see
   mailing list archives), in particular for use with Windoze systems,
   then compile it yourself with cygwin
c) it's easy to compile under cygwin, and cygwin is easy to install, so I
   strongly recommend doing that
d) also install openssh which compiles cleanly under cygwin and is much
   more reliable than the ssh that is attached here

Sorry I haven't had time to prepare a new release.  One day....