using rsync with Mac OS X

Chris Garrigues cwg-dated-55c191e81afae8e9 at deepeddy.com
Tue Dec 18 02:17:44 EST 2001

> From:  Mark Valence <kurash at sassafras.com>
> Date:  Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:26:04 -0500
>
> 1) convert (on the fly) all files to MacBinary before
> comparing/sending them to the destination.  MacBinary is a well
> documented way to package an HFS file into a single data file.  The
> benefits with this method are compatibility with existing rsync
> versions that are not MacBinary aware, while the drawbacks are speed,
> maintainability, and that directory metadata is not addressed at all.
>
> 2) Treat the two forks and metadata as three separate files for the
> purposes of comparison/sending, and then reassemble them on the
> destination.  Same drawbacks and benefits of the MacBinary route.
> This would also take more memory (potentially three times the number
> of files in the flist).
>
> 3) Change the protocol and implementation to handle arbitrary
> metadata and multiple forks.  This could be made sort-of compatible
> with existing rsync's by using various tricks, but the most efficient
> way would be to alter the protocol.  Benefits are that this would
> make the protocol extensible.  Metadata can be "tagged" so that you
> could add any values needed, and ignore those tags that are not
> understood or supported.  Any number of forks could be supported,
> which gives a step up in supporting NTFS where a file can have any
> number of "data streams".  In fact, forks and metadata could all be
> done in the same way in the protocol.

A quick thought about implementation details:  It would be nice if this were
done in such a way that if I were to rsync from a non-OSX netatalk system
onto an OSX system the .AppleDouble directories would be merged back into the
files, and conversely if I were to rsync from an OSX system to a netatalk
system the resource forks would be split into .AppleDouble directories.

I guess this would be simplest with scheme 2 above.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    The Greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
      hijacking of morality by religion.  However valuable -- even
      necessary -- that may have been in enforcing good behavior on
      primitive peoples, their association is now counterproductive.
      Yet at the very moment when they should be decoupled,
      sanctimonious nitwits are calling for a return to morals based
      on superstition.
				--- Arthur C. Clarke