EOF erors

Roger Lipscombe rlipscombe at riohome.com
Thu Aug 16 20:36:03 EST 2001

> I get the same error message whether I use rsh or ssh.
>
> I'll investigate this problem further today.

Hmmm, I think my rsh problems are down to the fact that it was running the
wrong rsh (i.e. it was running the W2K one, rather than the cygwin one).

I've also reinstalled rsync from the cygwin distribution, rather than
compiling it from sources, which is what I was doing before.

Now, I get:

  S:\temp>rsync -avvvvvvvvvvvv "roger at aphex:/home/roger/src/empeg/*" .
  cmd= machine=aphex user=roger path=/home/roger/src/empeg/*
  cmd=rsh -l roger aphex rsync --server --sender -vvvvvvvvvvvvlogDtpr .
/home/roger/src/empeg/*
  local_version=24 remote_version=24
  local_version=24 remote_version=24

...which appears to be further along.  This now happens regardless of
whether I use bash or cmd.exe, which makes sense -- bash would have used the
correct rsh by default.

Occasionally, I still get the earlier error:

  S:\temp>rsync -avvvvvvvvvvvv "roger at aphex:/home/roger/src/empeg/*" .
  cmd= machine=aphex user=roger path=/home/roger/src/empeg/*
  cmd=rsh -l roger aphex rsync --server --sender -vvvvvvvvvvvvlogDtpr .
/home/roger/src/empeg/*
  local_version=24 remote_version=24
  local_version=24 remote_version=24
  receiving file list ... unexpected EOF in read_timeout
  read error: Connection reset by peer

So, any ideas why it's getting no further than the protocol version
checking?

BTW, how many v's is the maximum?

Cheers,
Roger.