how do I rsync files which have a colon in the name?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Aug 14 05:47:36 EST 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 02:57:12PM -0500, Chris Garrigues wrote:
> I can't figure out how to quote a colon in a filename that I'm trying to push so
> that it doesn't think everything in front of the colon is a hostname.
>
> Chris

How about naming the directory it is in and using an --include of the
file you want and an --exclude '*'.  For example,
    mkdir a b
    touch a/f:oo
    rsync -av --include "f:oo" --exclude '*' a/ b

Oh, hey, I just checked the source code.  It will ignore the colon if there's
a slash in the path ahead of the colon:
    rsync -av a/f:oo b

If you're copying from the current directory, use "./f:oo".

- Dave Dykstra