[clug] Remote Authentication for Linux

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 1 04:52:26 UTC 2021

On 1/9/21 12:28 pm, jm via linux wrote:
> Missed a key point. If it's not clear the machine is to authenticate
> against a server which holds the login details.
>
> Jeff.
>
> On 1/9/21 12:22, jm via linux wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a list of (or can suggest) an authentication method
>> that will work with debian? The requirements is that it can do the log
>> in procedure for someone trying to log into the machine remotely, most
>> likely via ssh, who may never have logged in when the clock may be
>> highly skewed and the /var partition is full.
>>

>> Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

The most common such system is LDAP (or LDAPS if it is more remote
than in the same room). You can also use RADIUS, NIS(+) etc. I believe
that Debian (Pluggable Authentication Modules, actually) can also
authenticate against a PostgreSQL, MySQL or other database.

Then there are all the OAuth mechanisms that allow you to authenticate
against common services such as (dare I say it) Google, Facebook etc.

What is the actual use case here? What do you want the "someone" to
authenticate for? Shell access? Web access? IOT/MQTT access? etc.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.