[clug] Remote Authentication for Linux

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Sep 1 05:01:19 UTC 2021

On 1/9/21 14:52, Bob Edwards via linux wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> The most common such system is LDAP (or LDAPS if it is more remote
> than in the same room). You can also use RADIUS, NIS(+) etc. I believe
> that Debian (Pluggable Authentication Modules, actually) can also
> authenticate against a PostgreSQL, MySQL or other database.
>
> Then there are all the OAuth mechanisms that allow you to authenticate
> against common services such as (dare I say it) Google, Facebook etc.
>
> What is the actual use case here? What do you want the "someone" to
> authenticate for? Shell access? Web access? IOT/MQTT access? etc.
>
> cheers,
> Bob Edwards.

See my reply to Steve to avoid repeating myself. Shell access via ssh or
similar is what I'm aiming to do.

The devices are definitely out of the office. There's a few in a remote
mining community in WA. Some are closer to home by have poor Internet
connections. This can make the network connection very slow and flaky.

I'd forgot about LDAP which is exactly why I'd thought I'd ask around.
Someone is bound to suggest something which I'd forgotten or not thought of.

Is there a list of pam modules somewhere?

Jeff.