[clug] Watercooler - was Open Source Developers in CBR

Luke Mewburn lukem-clug at mewburn.net
Mon Sep 7 03:07:22 UTC 2020

On 20-09-07 11:04, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
  | On Mon, 2020-09-07 at 08:09 +1000, Hugh Fisher wrote:
  | > On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 5:27 PM Brenton Ross via linux
  | > <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
  | > [ munch ]
  | > >
  | > > Hence my first sub-project is to build a C++ wrapper for the
  | > > Redland C
  | > > library. I started with the source from the existing project, but
  | > > ended
  | > > just keeping one of its core design features and rewriting most of
  | > > it
  | > > using C++ features that are more recent than what the original
  | > > author
  | > > used.
  | > >

  | > What version of C++ are you using (11, 14, 17) and why? Every time
  | > I've looked at the newer editions of C++ I've been terrified by all
  | > the
  | > features.
  | >
  | I'm using 11. The shared_ptr and range based loops are the main
  | reasons.

Oh, how could I forget shared_ptr and unique_ptr !?!!
I've been using shared_ptr since std::tr1 (prior to C++11, or
boost's equivalent).
unique_ptr isn't in tr1 or boost, but is more efficient for a single
use case.

I almost never use `delete`, and with make_shared<> and make_unique<>
don't need to use `new` either.

RAII (destructors) - arguably the best feature of C++.

  | Thanks Luke for your reply. Very informative.

You're welcome.

  | Brenton

Luke.