[clug] IBM claims to have made a new battery design that is environment friendly

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Jan 18 23:08:10 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 18-01-2020 at 21:26 Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
> One of the important characteristics of rechargeable batteries is the
> number of charge-discharge cycles vs loss of capacity.This wasn't
> mentioned, so it is either something they have a problem with, or they
> haven't had time to do the tests.

I did wonder about charge-discharge cycles.

> I wonder if this announcement was rushed out because of the recent Li-S
> battery announcement.

Brenton, I had not heard about the Li-S work.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/monash-claims-most-efficient-lithium-sulphur-battery/

I am hoping someone finds a better battery.

Has anyone heard any positive news about Hydrogen Fuel Cells recently?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2020/01/09/hydrogen-on-the-rise-at-ces-from-drones-and-daimler-trucks-to-toyotas-city-of-the-future/
https://reneweconomy.com.au/category/smart-transport/hydrogen-fuel-cell/
https://www.shell.com.au/make-the-future/cleaner-mobility/the-great-travel-hack/season-one/fuels-vehicles.html

I keep hearing how "one day" it will be the way forward.

I guess Hydrogen Fuel Cells are not going to help rovers and drones get around on Mars though, "The estimated mean volume ratio of molecular oxygen (O2) in the Martian atmosphere is 0.174%"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Mars