[clug] IBM claims to have made a new battery design that is environment friendly

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Jan 18 09:12:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

Has anyone read about this potential innovation?

I am hoping IBM manage to get this working, and working in the next 5
years. Thinks I use could be greatly improved and advanced if more
effective energy storage could be developed.

https://www.techspot.com/news/83312-ibm-claims-have-made-new-battery-design-environment.html
IBM claims to have made a new battery design that is environment
friendly

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2019/12/heavy-metal-free-battery/

Overall, this battery has shown the capacity to outperform existing
lithium-ion batteries not only in the previously listed applications,
but can also be optimized for a range of specific benefits, including:

	* Lower cost: The active cathode materials tend to cost less
because they are free of cobalt, nickel, and other heavy
metals. These materials are typically very resource-intensive to
source, and also have raised concerns over their sustainability.
	* Faster charging: Less than five minutes required to reach an 80
percent state of charge (SOC), without compromising specific discharge
capacity.
	* High power density: More than 10,000 W/L. (exceeding the power
level that lithium-ion battery technology can achieve).
	* High energy density: More than 800 Wh/L, comparable to the
state-of-art lithium-ion battery.
	* Excellent energy efficiency: More than 90 percent (calculated from
the ratio of the energy to discharge the battery over the energy to
charge the battery).
	* Low flammability of electrolytes
George.