[clug] 'Tracetogether' App - First Dog suggests 'publishing' source might not be enough

jhock at iinet.net.au jhock at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 23 23:38:44 UTC 2020

I have a Xiaomi Pocophone F1. Since the day I turned it on I felt that the distribution, MIUI based on Android 9, was asking too much. It wanted me to agree to allowing Xiaomi access to my data. I refused. (My privacy is very important to me - I don't have a Google account, I use F-Droid and Aurora Store to download apps.) That's the main reason why I refuse to use Micro$oft and use Ubuntu instead  (I was a Sun system administrator back in the early 90s so have no idea how to administrate Micro$oft).

When I upgraded to MIUI, Android 10, nothing would work without my granting permission for Xiaomi to access my data. I'd had enough. I switched to LineageOS 16.x (Android 9) without any Google services and recently to LineageOS 17.x (Android 10). That made me so happy that no one had access to my data. I will however, sell my data for $13 million, slightly negotiable, otherwise, hands off. I don't have to switch on location for Bluetooth. Some apps won't work but I just  find substitute apps or don't use them. I thoroughly recommend LineageOS for privacy reasons and it seems faster than MIUI.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, no government is going to get my location, or any other, data via the Tractetogether app. If it becomes legislation and it's enforced then I'll switch off my mobile phone until the covid-19 pandemic is over. Too many people give up their privacy just for the convenience of accessing social media and other stupid apps. They say that they have nothing to hide, but it's the principle that matters and that attitude makes it even more difficult for we who are concerned about privacy.

My two cents worth.

John.