[clug] Cut a file in place.

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Tue Sep 17 19:08:32 UTC 2019

On 17/9/19 9:31 am, Andrew Janke via linux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Let's say I have a 26GB compressed archive and 17GB of spare disk space and
> want to cut it up into chunks. The internet says no, but this list
> typically doesn't fail me.

What are you doing with these chunks?  Why do you need it in chunks?  An
archive in chunks is useless; so how is it going to be used?

It sounds like we're being given an X-Y problem.  You're not telling us the
whole project, you've decided to X, you don't know how to do X but you think
it can be done by doing Y, you don't know how to do Y, so you ask us how to do Y.

Specifically, it sounds like you're trying to do the second example in:

https://mywiki.wooledge.org/XyProblem

HTH,

Paul